Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pushed to excellence #excerpt #fiction


The decision to accept Janice's offer was a long and weighted endeavor. Returned to the confines of my office, I paced the room deliberating if I should open the folder lying flat on my desk. 
I could return it to her, explain my doubts, I mused. I have never questioned my incompetence before. The incertitude forced me to question my skill and expertise. Janice was one of the best in the field. My experience paled in comparison to her decades of sexual dysfunctional treatment. I was out of my league. 
I refuted the last thought. Janice wouldn't entrust me with the task if she deemed me incompetent. Throughout all her colleagues I was the one she had chosen. I was most qualified. 
I braced myself and opened the file.
The first page contained a list of names, only one I recognized - a politician – whom I utterly disliked due to his irrevocable dissent towards women’s health and equality. A passionate conservative, I wouldn’t have ever assumed he would be associated with Dr. Cuppins in the least.
The following pages contained each client’s chart including assessments, therapy sessions, medical history, and mundane information such as spouse and personal data. The last page of each client’s file contained an updated contract agreement which transfers treatment to Ms. Noah Kelly.
 I shrieked with surprise. She knew I would accept the offer all along.
Alerted by the sound of heels I questioned, “How did you know I would accept?”
                She paused outside my office door and smiled, “Darling, of course you would. You’re a smart woman.”
                She entered and lightly closed the door. Separated from our conversation landing on unintended ears she said, “I like that Maria.”
I exhaled in exhaustion, “Janice.” She just wouldn’t let it go. I was beginning to regret even mentioning Maria and her haunting my conscious.
She waved away my irritation, continuing without a thought, “You should allow her to help you on this. I am a great judge of character and she should definitely work with you on at least one of your clients.”
                “I’ll consider it.”


2 comments:

  1. Would've loved to see how they're lunch date went. To see Ms. Kelly squirm under Janice's microscope would've been great. Ms. cool, calm and collected unless shes unleashing her pent up desires *shrugs* Oh well the story continues and has me enthralled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I was smacked with the dumb stick today and have found I skipped an excerpt....my bad. I'm only human so sue me :P~~ *jokes* I'm going back to read said skipped excerpt.

    ReplyDelete